Sunday, June 11, 2006

Football: Soeharto scored the goal

I'm a big fan of football ever since I was a kid. I remember when I was at junior high school far away in Flores Island watching the first World Cup final between Germany and Italy back in 1982. Without TV network, we watch the game months after the event, thanks to a priest who got the record from his colleagues in Europe. It was fun and I still remember sweet moments for Italy when they scored three goals against Germany. As a kid, no idea about the other aspects of the game, politic & economy.


Four years later, when I moved to Bogor, I watched almost all the games during 1986 World Cup from TVRI, the state-owned TV network. Along with the establishment of new channels, people have options to watch the games they really want in different TV stations. But those days are over. Now we have to wacth SCTV---owned by listed company PT Surya Citra Media Tbk (last year the company booked net profit of Rp180 billion) no matter how expensive you're paying for cable networks.
For the first time, this year, I thought things getting better with my new cable network. But I'm dead wrong. I have to shut down the cable and back to the traditional network to watch the games as SCTV, the holder of 2006 World Cup broadcasting right, managed to get the monopoly. I believe many cable subscribers upset with the way cable providers tackling the issue. They should have arranged that well before the event, at least try to serve its subscribers well. For a football fan like me, I pay for nothing to a cable provider during the World Cup as I switched the program to my old-time UHF.
Cable subscribers, luckyly, are not alone as viewers fired criticism toward SCTV for its failure to air the opening ceremony. SCTV argued the opening ceremony has been in different package of the contract. Well, money talks. I just can't imagine if the holder of the right is not a traditional network like SCTV, but a cable TV operator. With less than 1 million cable subscribers, their homes could be targetted by angry football fans around the country.
What's interesting is SCTV hired Titiek Soeharto (yeah, Soeharto's daughter) as presenter for the games. As you may noticed, she called herself as Titiek Soeharto, not Titiek Prabowo (he was retired general Prabowo's wife). Why SCTV appointed her and not the other gals? Well, she owns some shares through PT Abhitama Mediatama (a company that controls majority shares in SCTV).
But is it something to do with her political moves recently to rehabilitate his father's name? Whatever, that's a bold move.
Imagine that most football spectators are watching her every night on the screen and she could be perceived as a totally different personality, a big fan like us. A good PR for Soeharto indirectly. It's just like she's telling people that...my father is OK, he's watching the games at home like us, I'm here at your (viewers) disposal and forget about my father's trial, let's rock, and GOAL!!!!!!!

Labels: ,


READ MORE!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez,... so that öld hag is soeharto's daughter..., my oh my, and i was keep pointin that what on earth has sctv done for hiring such boring and annoyin person to guide the show.... geez, and that doesnt count that we only seen donna agnesia for lesser moment then the old hag talks bout football in tempo and ways of talking just as similar as my elementary school's principal during the monday flag ceremony... yaikksss!!!
im 20 by the way...

June 12, 2006 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you completely regarding the broadcast over the cable. It is unbelievable that SCTV is banning the cbale operator to re-broadcast the World Cup 2006.

It is understandable if we aren't allowed to re-broadcast it ver sattelite since it will goes to the other countries, but over cable...???

June 13, 2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home